Do you have any fears?
I certainly do. As much as I wish I could say I’m fearless, and nothing bothers me, that’s just not true. I’m far more anxious, far quicker to worry, and far too fast to stress about things I have no power over, than I should be.
There are plenty of small things I consider myself afraid of. Spiders, sharks, water I can’t see through, the dark, skunks (I don’t like tomato juice that much), and mountain lions (their screams…), to name a few. Admitting to them makes me cringe, but it’s true. Thinking about or dealing with any of them sends shivers down my spine.
In a more severe sense, I also fear things like losing loved ones, disappointing people, being kidnapped, drowning, suffocating, or renouncing my faith. Any time spent thinking about those things will send my mood plunging and my mind racing.
Being afraid is not fun, not productive, and not good for us in any way. Fear only damages things, and takes our focus away from what truly matters in life. It can easily derail the smoothest of days.
But it’s so hard to break away from, isn’t it?
Whenever I’m afraid, I try to force my mind to focus on something else. Something different, uplifting, and hopeful. Most of all, I try to turn my thoughts to the One who’s bigger than any of my fears. The One with the power to protect me from them. The One who knows exactly how afraid I am, and is always willing and ready to comfort me.
Reading Scriptures about fear helps, and so does reading words by other wise and godly people. Today, I thought I’d share ten of my favorite quotes about fear, with the hopes that they’d encourage you too. Fear is persistent, but it’s no match for our Savior.
1. “If the Lord be with us, we have no cause of fear. His eye is upon us, His arm over us, His ear open to our prayer – His grace sufficient, His promise unchangeable.”
2. “Seeing that a pilot steers the ship in which we sail, who will never allow us to perish even in the midst of shipwrecks, there is no reason why our minds should be overwhelmed with fear and overcome with weariness.”
3. “I’m not afraid of the devil. The devil can handle me – he’s got judo I never heard of. But he can’t handle the One to whom I’m joined; he can’t handle the One to whom I’m united; he can’t handle the One whose nature dwells in my nature.”
(A. W. Tozer)
4. “Fear is a self imposed prison that will keep you from becoming what God intends for you to be. You must move against it with the weapons of faith and love.”
5. “If you fear God, you really need fear nothing else.”
6. “Our lives are full of supposes. Suppose this should happen, or suppose that should happen; what could we do; how could we bear it? But, if we are living in the high tower of the dwelling place of God, all these supposes will drop out of our lives. We shall be quiet from the fear of evil, for no threatenings of evil can penetrate into the high tower of God.”
(Hannah Whitall Smith)
7. “Are you facing fear today? Perhaps you are afraid of losing your job, of developing cancer or being left by your spouse. At times all of us experience fear. But don’t allow fear to keep you from being used by God. He has kept you thus far; trust Him for the rest of the way.”
8. “Fear is born of Satan, and if we would only take time to think a moment, we would see that everything Satan says is founded upon a falsehood.”
(A. B. Simpson)
9. “The presence of fear does not mean you have no faith. Fear visits everyone. But make your fear a visitor and not a resident.”
10. “The presence of hope in the invincible sovereignty of God drives out fear.”
There are many things that can cause us to fear today, if we let them. But I’m praying that instead of turning to anxiety, you and I will turn to our Lord, who is greater than any fear and can overcome any challenge. We truly have nothing to fear when we trust in Him.
Did any of these quotes speak to you today? Go ahead and let me know your favorites in the comments, as well as if there is a certain topic you’d like to see more quotes about. While you’re there, I’d love to hear something YOU’RE learning about conquering fear!
For I am the LORD your God
who takes hold of your right hand
and says to you,
Do not fear; I will help you.
(Isaiah 41:13 NIV)
1. I shared more of my quote collection in my previous posts: 10 Encouraging Quotes For Difficult Times, 10 Inspiring Quotes About Thanksgiving, and 10 Stirring Quotes About Joy.
2. To receive your own printable pages of the above quotes (and the ones used in my other ‘Quotes’ posts), sign up for my email list! Simply fill in the form here, and I’ll send you PDF copies of the quote collections – as well as an inspirational short story. I look forward to hearing from you!
7 thoughts on “10 Quotes about Conquering Fear”
These are so good, and this is such an encouraging and Biblical perspective on fear!
I’m so glad it encouraged you! Thank you for your kind words 🙂
These quotes are so encouraging and comforting. I struggle with a fear a lot too, so this is so helpful.
By the way, I really enjoy reading your posts every week. They’re always so encouraging and thought-provoking. They’re actually the highlight of my week! Thank you so much for sharing!
Oh, you’ve just made MY week – thank you so much! 🙂 I’m very glad to hear they’re encouraging to you.