Happy Mother’s Day!
As Mother’s Day approached this year, I’ve spent quite a bit of time wondering what I should write about today.
Last year, I wrote about some of the many lessons my mother has taught me, such as to give generously, remain faithful, work hard, love deeply, and to trust God, no matter what. While I fully acknowledge that my mom isn’t perfect – as none of us are – I think she’s wonderful, and consider myself very blessed to be her daughter.
This year, I wondered what the focus of this post should be about. Part of me wants to focus on my mother again, and spend more time talking about her qualities and what she’s taught me. But I voiced so much of that last year that while I obviously wouldn’t tire of talking about her, it may be redundant for those who don’t know my mom personally.
And that left me wondering what other people have to say about their mothers, or even just mothers in general. What is YOUR mother like? What lessons have you learned? Or what about a motherly figure in your life? I believe there are women called to ‘mother’ others, even if they never have biological children of their own. God works so greatly through it all.
Motherhood – however it looks – is a great blessing, and also a huge responsibility. It’s something that shouldn’t be taken lightly. I’m not one at this point in my life, but to think of the possibility someday intimidates me. Will I ever be ready? I suspect I won’t ever feel ready. But it’s encouraging to have good role models to look up to and learn from.
As my mother, and many other mothers that I’ve gotten to know over the years, have shown me, being a mother is not easy. But I’ve also seen that it’s worth it. It’s one of the most – if not the most influential – roles a woman can have, just as a father influences his children like scarcely anyone one else can. And I find that awe-inspiring.
Just as our Heavenly Father provides, cares for, and loves us, our earthly parents are called to do the same. And if, sadly, that’s not the case, God is faithful to provide other role models to step into those shoes and help guide us in the ways He wants.
I’ve been very blessed by my mother, who’s always done her best to love, teach, and guide us according to God’s ways. She’s taught me so much and loved me through so many difficult times, and I don’t know how she does it, except that I see her relying on the Lord. And I know that’s what truly makes her an amazing mother. She’s always striving.
So as much as I could continue on, today I thought it’d be nice to look at some quotes about mothers from other people. Other people who also are thankful for their mothers, and have seen the influence and amazing opportunities that mothers have to guide their children. Here are ten of my favorites…
1. “Only God Himself fully appreciates the influence of a Christian mother in the molding of character in her children.”
2. “There is more power in a mother’s hand than in a king’s scepter.”
3. “A miracle is really the only way to describe motherhood and giving birth. It’s unbelievable how God has made us women and babies to endure and be able to do so much. A miracle indeed. Such an incredible blessing.”
4. “A mother is a person who seeing there are only four pieces of pie for five people, promptly announces she never did care for pie.”
(Robert J. Quillen)
5. “There’s no way to be a perfect mother and a million ways to be a good one.”
6. “Motherhood is a million little moments that God weaves together with grace, redemption, laughter, tears, and most of all, love.”
7. “There are few things more powerful than the faithful prayers of a righteous mother.”
(Boyd K. Packer)
8. “The Christian mom doesn’t love Jesus instead of loving her children; she loves Jesus by loving her children.”
9. “The joy of motherhood comes in moments. There will be hard times and frustrating times. But amid the challenges, there are shining moments of joy and satisfaction.”
(M. Russell Ballard)
10. “A mother’s relationship with her child is one that will encompass a lifetime. How blessed is a child who has that anchor of strength and support.”
I think it can be easy to overlook the mothers in our lives sometimes. They do so much, often unnoticed and unthanked, and if yours is anything like mine, they don’t go seeking out attention for the kind things they’re doing. They just do them out of love. So let’s use today as a reminder to acknowledge those mothers, thank them for everything they do, and shower them with love- and not just today, but anytime and often.
Did any of these quotes speak to you today? Go ahead and let me know your favorites in the comments, as well as if there is a certain topic you’d like to see more quotes about. While you’re there, I’d love to hear something you’ve learned from YOUR mother!
‘Her children arise and call her blessed;
her husband also, and he praises her:
“Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all.”‘
(Proverbs 31: 28-29 NIV)
1. I shared more of my quote collection in many previous posts, which you can find here.
2. To receive your own printable pages of the above quotes (and the ones used in my other ‘Quotes’ posts), sign up for my email list! Simply fill in the form here, and I’ll send you PDF copies of the quote collections – as well as an inspirational short story. I look forward to hearing from you!