As you read this, my new husband and I will be one day into our marriage (and hopefully getting some much-needed rest)! I’ve prepped this short post ahead of time, as I wanted to take the opportunity to share a few quotes that I’ve been keeping close lately.
Marriage is an amazing opportunity and blessing, and also a huge responsibility. I’ve done a lot of reading and praying ahead of time, and I know I’ll be failing, growing, and learning about it for the rest of my life now. How amazing that we can know God will help us!
So to celebrate the occasion, here are ten of my favorite quotes on Christian marriage!
1. “A good marriage isn’t something you find; it’s something you make.”
(Gary L. Thomas)
2. “If you are married, or single hoping to marry, remember this: every marriage is comprised of two sinners. The best marriage is one where those sinners are united in their love of God, their commitment to serve one another, and a spirit of humility. Through marriage you can expect to learn how much sacrifice is involved in loving a sinner through all the ups and downs of life: this is a picture of how Christ loves us.”
(Kerry van der Vinne)
3. “We are, all of us, utterly committed and deeply devoted to our “style”, our “way”, our “approach to life.” We have absolutely no intention of giving it up. Not even for love. So God creates an environment where we have to. It’s called marriage.”
4. “Flowing from this union, source of a plenitude of joy, the love of the couple reveals itself through the daily acceptance of the limits and faults of each other and in mutual openness. It is this acceptance in and through gentleness, kindness, forgiveness, confidence and the desire to see shining in the other the warm light of the Spirit of God that becomes the great sign of the merciful love of God for man and His incessant forgiveness.”
5. “A happy marriage is the union of two good forgivers.”
6. “Love…is not merely a feeling. It is a deep unity, maintained by the will and deliberately strengthened by habit; reinforced by (in Christian marriages) the grace which both partners ask, and receive, from God. They can have this love for each other even at those moments when they do not like each other; as you love yourself even when you do not like yourself.”
(C. S. Lewis)
7. “Staying married, therefore, is not mainly about staying in love. It is about keeping covenant. “Till death do us part” or “As long as we both shall live” is a sacred covenant promise—the same kind Jesus made with His bride when He died for her.”
8. “Marriage is a call to die [to self]… Christian marriage vows are the inception of a lifelong practice of death, of giving over not only all you have, but all you are. Is this a grim gallows call? Not at all! It is no more grim than dying to self and following Christ. In fact, those who lovingly die for their [spouses] are those who know the most joy, have the most fulfilling marriages, and experience the most love.”
(R. Kent Hughes)
9. “We [should not] make the mistake of thinking that marriage will provide the ultimate satisfaction for which we all hunger. To assume so would be to be guilty of blasphemy. Only God satisfies the hungry heart. Marriage is but one of the channels He uses to enable us to taste how deeply satisfying His thirst-quenching grace can be.”
(Sinclair B. Ferguson)
10. Great marriages don’t happen by luck or by accident. They are the result of a consistent investment of time, thoughtfulness, forgiveness, affection, prayer, mutual respect, and a rock-solid commitment between a husband and a wife.”
Two are better than one,
because they have a good return for their labor:
If either of them falls down,
one can help the other up.
But pity anyone who falls
and has no one to help them up.
Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm.
But how can one keep warm alone?
Though one may be overpowered,
two can defend themselves.
A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.
(Ecclesiastes 4:9-12 NIV)
Thank you for reading!
Did any of these quotes speak to you today? Go ahead and let me know your favorites in the comments, as well as if there is a certain topic you’d like to see more quotes about!
1. You can find more of my quote collection posts here.